Farm / D Bar V Farms | Participating in Open Farm Days 2023
Farm Type: Land and Cattle Farm Operation
TownRolling Hills, Alberta
D Bar V Farms: Presents and Indigenous Prairie Cattle Experience
D Bar V Farms presents Saturday Aug 19 Tours 2:00 pm & 4pm
This Indigenous prairie experience involves an up-close feeding encounter with the Salers breed of cattle, known for their similarities to the roaming buffalo of days gone by. Then your host, First Nation author, farmer, and rancher, Victor Lethbridge will accompany you to the prairie hills of the Bow River to see and experience Indigenous artifacts such as tipi rings and a grinding stone.
Indigenous Prairie Cattle Experience
- Tour is Free: There are two timeslots starting at 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm. (each tour is approx. 90 minutes)
- Guests will drive themselves lead by your host, First Nation author, farmer, and rancher, Victor Lethbridge. He will accompany you to the prairie hills of the Bow River.
- This 90-minute Indigenous prairie experience involves an up-close feeding encounter with the Salers breed of cattle, known for their similarities to the roaming buffalo of days gone by.
- The tour starts in the hamlet of Rolling Hills, at the restaurant of Pivot Spirits, which is across the street from the cattle corrals. Take highway 875 south of the TransCanada and right at the T to Pivot Restaurant). Following a brief visit with the coral cattle is a 12-minute drive as participants, in their own vehicles, follow Victor to the river pasture. There they will view the tipi rings and grinding stone and share in the tranquility of what our Indigenous people experienced for centuries.
- D Bar V Farms raises award-winning pure-bred Salers cattle and provides workshops enhancing Indigenous awareness and leadership development, especially for youth. Where buffalo/bison once roamed, is now grazed by D Bar V Farms’ herd of Salers cattle, a breed having similar attributes to that of the buffalo with their dark hard hoofs, thick hair, calving ease, and climate hardiness.
- Tour Details:
- Start with cow/calf pair feeding at corral location at the farm.
- Drive to the Tatanka Hills at the Bow River prairie pasture.
- View Indigenous artefacts at the Tatanka Hills with a scenic view of the Bow River.
- View a purebred herd of Salers cattle as they graze where buffalo once roamed.
- Individual: If desired, purchase a $20 each for an award-winning story book by your host author Victor Lethbridge.
- We’ll supply a bottled water at the river.
- Bring: camera, extra drinks, appropriate weather wear.
- Plan stay for a bite at the restaurant at Pivot Spirits. Try their amazing gourmet pizza.