Apiary & Honey Experiences
Did you know...
Beekeeping isn’t just as simple as putting a hive out and collecting the honey! There is a lot of hard work, science, management, adapting and knowledge involved.
The weather also plays a crucial role. The last few years have been challenging for many Alberta beekeepers. We have dealt with everything from drought to too much moisture, wildfire smoke and diseases. The varroa mite has also wiped out many colonies.
A beekeeper’s job is not easy. Each year presents new challenges.
Alberta Bee, Honey, Apiary & Meadery Experiences
Birds and Bees Winery Distillery
In or near: Two Hills
Welcome to the Birds and Bees Winery and Distillery Open Farm Days pageWe are very excited to be opening up the farm to have tours of the orchard and the production facility, to share is the history and tradition that has been our main value since we started. Our wines have been featured on TV and have been staple in Alberta since our first bottle was sold, while our vodkas and meads have been coming on strong, winning awards and being celebrated for their amazing taste and smoothness, as well as being one of the top selling vodkas in Alberta. At Birds and Bees, we are proud of the products we make, we enjoy drinking them and we hope everyone that comes out this weekend will enjoy them too. During the weekend, we will be having a saskatoon stomp for anyone who is interested in getting a little down and dirty and feeling just how we used to crush our saskatoons before we could use them in production. There will food available for purchase during the weekend as well as there will be sampling our wine, vodka and mead products for all those over the age of 18.
Events of the weekend – 10 am to 6 pm both Saturday and Sunday
- Admission for tours - $15 per person over 18 years of age and FREE for anyone under the age of 18. Admission includes sampling of all Birds and Bees products currently available.
- Saskatoon stomp – FREE for anyone wanting to get their feet dirty and have some fun
- Diane’s Country Kitchen Food Truck will be on site Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday for everyone to enjoy her amazing cooking!
Charlotte Lake Farms Inc.
In or near: Bonnyville
Christy Creek Honey
In or near: Lac La Biche
- Watch and learn about the bees - Free observation hive
- Suit up and book a premium hive tour ($15) scroll down for booking tool (please pay at the farm, no online payment)
- Enjoy the scenery and blooms. Sit and stay awhile!
- Play some games
- Paint a mini hive to take home, or a big one to stay for everybody to enjoy ($).
- Buy some yummy goodies made by the Mill Bakery!
- Shop for bee themed and locally made items, including our signature small-batch honey and handmade stir-stick lollipop!
- Relax and have a good time!!!
Country Roads RV Park
In or near: Grande Prairie
- Get Lost in 9 acre corn maze
- Lots of outdoor family games, like duck races, hockey checkers, Gem mining, soccer snooker, connect 4 and many more activities
Edmonton Urban Farm
In or near: Edmonton
- 10:00 am Smudge with Elder Sharon Pasula
- 10:20 am The unloading of goats! Brought to us by Penner Goats from Mallaig.
- 10:30 am: Ongoing tours of the amazing farm plots will begin and continue throughout the day. Our amazing farmers will share their knowledge and passion for growing food. See some amazing and unusual plants.
- 11:00 am: Dustin Bajer Talks Trees—everything you wanted to know about growing trees.
- 12:00 pm: French language tour with one of our farmers Chantal Koko.
- 1:00 pm: Hungry Worms by Roberto—everything you wanted to know about worm composting! Beginner Red Wriggler kits will be available for purchase.
- 2:00 pm: Enjoy the lovely sounds of a string quartet!
In or near: Water Valley
- Meadery and apiary tours starting every hour from 11am-4pm
- Tasting of the Fallentimber lineup of meads ($10, branded glass included)
- Storefront for retail sales
- Outdoor space to relax and enjoy a cold beverage and your picnic lunch
- Lawn games
In or near: Foothills
- Two farm permaculture tours per day 10:00 and 2:00
- Coffee and a muffin offered for sale in morning (9:00 am - until sold out) / Chili and a bun offered for sale in the afternoon (11:30 am until sold out)
- Farm ferments, simple syrups, produce, honey, tea, beef, pork, eggs and turkeys for sale
- Kaching coin rings (@kachingcoinrings) set up selling Artisan coin rings and collectables.
- Farm Two53 is a well known Foothills-area permaculture farm. We are excited to offer short term rentals at the farm starting this summer.
- Unique mid century modern mansion undergoing major renovation.
- Geothermal greenhouse. (under construction)
- Solar PV array
- Food forest
- Cover crops
- Rainwater harvesting
- Compost tea making
- Red wiggler worm cast production
- Holistic animal husbandry techniques
- Intensive grazed cattle
- Free range laying hens
- Free range turkeys
- Kune kune X pigs
Granary Road Active Learning Park & Farmer's Market
In or near: Foothills County
Grey Owl Meadery
In or near: Alder Flats
Hamingja - Heritage Farm & Nature Preserve
In or near: Leslieville
- Free farm self-guided tours are available all day both days
- Guided tours with the owners (11 a.m., 1 p.m., & 3 p.m. Sat/Sun) featuring a tour through the hatching & recirculating aquaculture facility, feeding fish and ducks, Bee Kind and other activities for the whole family are available at $5/person (under 3 free) or $15 for a family of 3 or more.
- Food will be available for sale (cash only please) while quantities last: fruit pies & ice cream; U-cook smokies/buns, popcorn; water bottles; and Nature’s Co Co cups Beverages Truck
Irvine School Agriculture Discovery Centre
In or near: Irvine
Long Grass Studio and Honey Bee Apiarios Estrella
In or near: Calgary, Rocky View County
Old Station Honey & Mead
In or near: New Sarepta
Shipwheel Cattle Feeders Ltd.
In or near: Taber
Spirit Hills Flower Winery
In or near: Millarville
- Farmstead Tours Book Here: https://spirithillswinery.com/tours/
The Gull Lake Honey Company & Frontier Bison Farm
In or near: Lacombe
- Tour of Extraction facility (every hour on the hour)
- Small petting zoo with goats, Calf, Chickens, Ducks and horse
- Playground and Picnic areas
- Hayride in Bison pasture (every hour on the hour, $5 per person age 5 and up
- Artisan market and gift shop with fresh honey on tap and other honey and beeswax products and Bison meat
- U-Pick/Fresh pick Vegetable Garden
- Face painting ($ by donation)
- Chesters Chips Food Truck
- West Country Kettle Corn (Saturday afternoon only)
- Dipped Candle making ($3 per candle)
Van Assen Farm Ltd
In or near: Barrhead
Wild Country Gardens
In or near: Wildwood
Your Local Ranch Ltd
In or near: Airdrie
Honey Bee Tales
Honey Floss – Alberta Open Farm Days Anniversary ProductFor Alberta Open Farm Days 10th anniversary this year, we wanted to recognize that farming is dependent on many things, such as community, family,…
Open Farm Days – Incubator Project 2020The Open Farm Days Incubator Program started in 2020 in collaboration with Alberta Open Farm Days and Open Farm Days participating farm. The program…
Where You Can Shop On Farm in AlbertaThere are many ways to shop farm fresh in Alberta, from a farmers market to subscription boxes, but did you know that many farms…
Experience the journey from hive to table at Paradis Valley HoneyDrive with your windows open in mid-summer along Highway 49 east and you can’t miss the sweet aromas of blooming clover. The area around…